Beth's Reviews > Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

Orange Is the New Black by Piper Kerman

Apr 05, 2011

it was ok
Read on April 05, 2011

couldn't get past page 170.....too many "characters" and I didn't really care for any of them. Now I know she encountered many inmates in prison but perhaps a little editing was in order. Perhaps she could have focused a little more on some of her closer relationships. Even Larry-her fiance was just some aloof person granted he did/does love her as she told us in general terms. And honestly, she had it pretty easy going. Everyone liked her (And she told us many times), her big riff was over iceberg lettuce, it's more dangerous in my house with nerf guns abound. I found myself (mother of three, teacher, wife, artist) kind of jealous of her HOURS of BOREDOM-that sounds like heaven to me,,,oh wait, this is "prison" (prison-lite as i would call it).
The book was all over the place and flipped from one woman to another never giving us enough color, info or care about her encounters. A little humor would have been nice too-thrown in here or there.
It was written like one long college essay. Not bad but just not great either. The book didn't really say much about the prison system either-just that it's not a good place. Nothing really new revealed.
Her biggest struggle was getting a radio (so far as I've read). I'm not saying that I wanted her in the hole or fending off prison guards-just that in order to make a statement you have to get your readers to care more. You have to make the story more interesting, not by lying or stretching the truth but in how you "tell the tale".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange Is the New Black.

TRISH You didn't miss much by not finishing the book! More & more of the Self-serving talk!

Beth The show is better than the book funny enough, it rarely goes that direction.

Alice It sounds like the show ISN'T the book and it's pretty insulting that this book written by a white woman is what spawned it. I'm really disappointed. And I agree, my real life isn't as nice as this woman's prison life.