Catie's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: memoir, read-in-2011, audio
Read in April, 2011

I don’t typically read memoirs, but I absolutely love Tina Fey. She could write a religious horror novel, and I would probably read it. I’ve also always wondered; is Liz Lemon just a thinly fictionalized version of Tina Fey? It turns out that she really isn’t. What comes across more than anything in this audiobook (besides Tina Fey’s punchy yet silly sense of humor) is that she’s a confident, intelligent woman and a highly successful boss.

This book is a very nice mix of serious and humorous: Tina Fey recounts the awkward exploits of her childhood and adolescence, her first jobs, and her eventual entrance into the comedy world. There are some parts of the book that hold little interest for me – like her detailing of the rules of improvisation. But, even then she infuses the whole thing with so much witty humor and so many universal truths that I couldn’t stop laughing. She has quite a lot to say about more serious topics like the pigeon-holing of women by the entertainment industry, and the challenges of motherhood, but this book never ceases to be uproariously funny.

I listened to the audiobook, which is narrated by the author herself. I highly recommend this! She adds in so much inflection and even a few little asides just for the audiobook listeners. Plus, there’s a highly accurate Lorne Michaels impersonation (sarcasm intended). Anyone that loves Tina Fey, or dark, silly, intellectual humor should give this a try.

Perfect Musical Pairing

Amy Grant - Every Heartbeat

How better to express the passionate girl crush that I have on Tina Fey than by using this 90's pop ballad from Amy Grant, one of Liz Lemon's favorite "bands"?
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

Steve Great points about a great book. We did the audio version, too, and that added a lot to the pleasure, I thought.

You might consider another musical pairing as well, that is, if you can find it -- Asphalt of Pinking.