Tom's Reviews > The Happiest Days of Our Lives

The Happiest Days of Our Lives by Wil Wheaton

Feb 20, 08

Read in December, 2007

I just finished reading this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm no book reviewer, but I found so many parallels between Wil's stories and my young life, growing up in the late 70's / early 80's in Westwood and Ayer, Massachusetts.

Full disclosure: I was not a Star Trek fan. I really don't know why. I've had many exposures to geekdom, but for some reason, I was not attracted to it, in any of its forms. Yes, I watched all of the full length motion pictures, and occasionally found myself watching an episode or two of Star Trek. My Dad watched a lot more Star Trek than I. Also, I have the pleasure of working with Wil on the social news site Propeller.com.

On the "blue light special" chapter/post: I can totally relate. Star Wars figures were very close to me, and I remember my plastic Darth Vader bust case very well. Inside, I had a C3PO that disassembled, a Yoda that I always seemed to lose the snake that was wrapped around his neck, a Luke with an unreliable lightsaber appendage, and a few others. I didn't have many of the vehicles, so my adventures mostly took place in the Dagobah bogs, or were simple Mortal Kombat-style deathmatches, sans accessories.

I loved the "exactly what I wanted" story. I can't wait until my now 5 month old son makes fun of me for being old and out of touch. :-)

From "close your eyes and then it's past", OMG, Atari 400 and Star Raiders. Star Raiders was awesome, did not get quite as much play as Defender or Miner 2049er. And Poltergeist is still the scariest for me, as I grew up with a tree right outside my window. I really thought that the movie was made to scare me. Now, at least, I know I was not alone.

I know my future will hold a day like "suddenly it's tomorrow".

Now, I was not into D&D as a kid. Its another "not sure why I didn't get into it". I asked my parents if they bought into the claims in the early 80's of the game being Satanic, and they assured me that no, they weren't bothered by that. They just said I never gravitated toward it. I did dabble in the Marvel RPG for a bit, but never got enough friends interested to make it a regular happening.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and hope to read Wil's other books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Days of Our Lives.