Marcus's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter

Apr 05, 2011

liked it
Read in March, 2011

Infernal Devices is quite a different reading experience to Morlock Night. Where Morlock Night has a plot that is transparent right from the start, nothing is clear in Infernal Devices almost until the very end and there are quite a few surprising and some rather nasty turns. In Morlock Night, good and evil are clearly definded, in Infernal Devices, you cannot be sure at all who is the protagonist’s ally and who is not.

The novel features a somewhat happles protagonist, George Dower, the inheritor of his fathers workshop, who is dragged into a series of events both baffling and confusing to him. He meets fellow Londoners who are odd and than there are some who are even more odd. Most are people his father knew and who are somewhat in the know about things and think he is really in the know which he is not… Worse still: There are people who want him dead and he has no clue why. Infernal Devices managed to convey the protagonist’s confusion quite well to me. For the better part of the first half of the novel, I found Infernal Devices to be a rather difficult and confusing read. A shame really, since the plot is interesting, the characters are most intriguing and the inhabitants of Wetwick and Dampfort are to my cthulhuesque’s heart delight.

After all the pieces of the puzzle were in place, the confusion abrubtely left and the reading became thoroughly enjoyable. I could finally concentrate on the mad chase that was going on and could understand why all those people were acting so weirdly. It all makes perfect sense within the story. K.W. Jeter has created quite a marvelous world in Infernal Devices. Sometimes rather weird and alien but always concistent.

The novel also ends with one of the biggest surprises in the history of literature I think. The world is saved not by might of arms, nor by magic, nor by love but rather by… Well, I guess you should find out yourselves and I hope you are as delighted by the final implied scene as I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.