Fani's Reviews > The Restorer

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

6 stars

Well, I'm dazzled, stunned, shocked and yes haunted. This is an amazing book, the best I've read so far in 2011. I don't feel like picking another book right now, my mind's stuck there with Amelia, Devlin and their ghosts. And for a book that does not belong in the romance genre, the attraction between them was a very powerful and vivid thing.

Many people have described the plot, but I find it difficult to explain to someone who hasn't read the book. In short, there are some gruesome murders, John Devlin is the detective in the case and Amelia is the restorer of the graveyard where the bodies are turning up. It would be a typical mystery book if Amelia wasn't able to see ghosts but tried to ignore them following her father's advice, Devlin didn't have two of his own following him around and an old fraternity who likes to delve in the occult wasn't involved. As it is, this is one complicated and highly addictive mystery that I couldn't put down until the final page. The fact that it's spiced with a lot of PNR elements and some romance doesn't hurt at all!

The writing was superb. There is no other way to put it. I've never been to Charleston or anywhere near the South, but I felt I was there, smelled the jasmines, the honeysuckle, the shrimps and even the dampness in the hot air. I just loved the way Ms Stevens pulled me in her world. And I loved how she had me sitting in the edge of my seat the whole time while Amelia went looking for clues in the graveyard and met with people who I couldn't tell if they were friends or psychopaths. Finally, I loved the palpable attraction between her and Devlin, the sizzle of electricity between them and also her fear whenever he came too near; I just couldn't get enough of their scenes together. These are two lonely and haunted people that definitely belong together, if only Devlin could escape his past.

I feel like I'm rambling instead of writing a review, so I'll just wrap it up. I loved the book (obviously) and can't wait to read the next one to find out more about Amelia, her father, Tom Garrick and of course Devlin and his ghosts. Not everything is answered by the end of the book, but at least the who-dunnit is fully explained and resolved. If you like mystery & suspense stories, this is a book you absolutely must read!

ARC Provided by NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Restorer.

05/19/2011 "I'm in the right mood for something gritty right now!" 2 comments
05/19/2011
25.0% "It seems my GR friends were all right about this one. I'm loving it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rane Great Review Fani! I loved the chemistry between Devlin and Amelia, and the feel Stevens created throughout the book- it was prefect

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Fani! You have me intrigued to read this.

Fani Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Fani! You have me intrigued to read this."

You definitely should! It's such an intriguing book and though not a romance per se, the chemistry between those two is just amazing. The mystery is also extremely well done and the whole atmosphere perfect, like Rane says!

Fani Thanks Rane! I have you to thank for picking this up in the first place:)

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I loved the prequel, can't wait to read this. She does write so well - you really feel like you are in Charleston. Great review, Fani.

Fani Thanks AH! Haven't read the prequel, but I plan to read it soon. I can't wait for the next one to come out!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds awesome! **adding it to my TBR**
Great review, Fani!

Fani Thanks AJ! I hope you won't regret it.

Barks & Bites This sounds so good!

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani It is! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes suspense & dark stories.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! Have moved it up the TBR list.

message 12: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Thanks Moss! I hope you like it as much as I did. I really, really enjoyed it:)