Jennifer's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: earcs
Read from April 04 to 06, 2011

This book really should have gotten 3 1/2 stars, but I decided to average up for the sake of the writing, which was quite good aside from some cliches. The main character, Alison, has synesthesia, and that condition is remarkably well described here. It doesn't sound fantastic or strange when we experience synesthesia through her eyes. Kudos for that. It was an interesting sensation to imagine what life must be like for people whose senses are intertwined.

However, the twist of this book left me a little cold. Here comes the spoiler--
(view spoiler) I will admit that the story is well told after the twist--it doesn't go off on an unbelievable sci-fi tangent. But just like Shutter Island, this story answered another question than the one I was hoping for. It's not a badly answered question, but I really wanted something different.

If you appreciate what's mentioned in the spoiler tags, then by all means read this story. The synesthesia descriptions alone are worth it. I liked the writing, even if it took me a while to realize the book took place in Canada (where? Is it ever mentioned?). I just wish it had a different ending. I'll keep an eye out for more by this author, though.

I received this book from the publisher through Netgalley.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.

04/04/2011 page 13
04/05/2011 page 80
21.0% "I can't imagine what it must be like to live with synasthesia. Fast read so far."
show 1 hidden update…