Linda's Reviews > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

May 21, 12

Read from May 13 to 21, 2012

I picked up The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks because I had heard good things about it. I was not disappointed.
For those who don't know, Henrietta Lacks was a woman in the 50's. She had an agressive form of cervix cancer. Unbeknownst to her, doctors at John Hopskins took some of her cells and used those cells to study cancer, HIV, polio, and countless other illnesses. Her family had no idea that her cells were being used for research and to make new drugs. Skloot took great pains to learn about Henrietta from her family and try to recreate as much of Henrietta's life as she could. This is unlike so many nonfiction books. This is the kind of nonfiction you want to read. It's deeply engaging. Skloot makes the Lacks family jump off the page. I could really feel for the Lacks. I deeply admire Henrietta's contribution to science. I'm sad that she nor her family were informed or asked about her donation.
I really enjoyed learning about Henrietta. I also enjoyed learning about how her cells contributed to advances in science. I would really recommend The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.