Christina's Reviews > Crossing the Darien Gap: A Daring Journey Through the Roadless and Enchanting Jungle Between North America and South America

Crossing the Darien Gap by Andrew N. Egan

Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: travel, nonfiction, 2011-reads
Read from May 20 to 23, 2011

Crossing the Darien Gap is 18 year old Andrew's trek through the arduous rainforest between Panama and Colombia.

Although the events occurred a solid 22 years ago, I was drawn to the book because of my recent obsession with Central America. As research goes, I inevitably stumbled across a mention of The Gap... and was immediately hooked. I wanted to cross it, I could do this! (I am also constantly convincing myself that I can do utterly stupid things, and that I will remain invincible and survive).

Thus, I found this book... and seriously? Awesome. I found reading about the different tribes that reside within the forest to be fascinating, and I was freaked as hell every time Andrew encountered some unknown beast while making camp. When he stumbled upon Mark, the mentally ill man/God's prophet who had been making his way across the American continent in order to preach about the coming of Christ, in the middle of nowhere no less, I just about died laughing. Seriously, of ALL places...

With that said, the book isn't for everyone. If you have no interest in the Darien, then you won't enjoy this. Andrew's narration is very much a straight forward factual re-telling of events. It is amateur writing (and publishing) and can even come across a little bland at times. But if you're fascinated with the Darien, with Latin America, with travel... then I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing the Darien Gap.

05/23/2011 page 65
31.0% "seeeriously starting to feel the itch..."
05/23/2011 page 83
40.0% "WTF GROSS. dhhfjhfjdf"
05/23/2011 page 91
44.0% "The carefree use of machetes in this novel amuses me greatly."
05/23/2011 page 144
69.0% "ROFL!!!!! Random guy stumbling through the Darien claiming to be God's prophet. Shit that's amazing."
05/23/2011 page 168
80.0% "what kind of idiot keeps his machete behind his ear?"
05/23/2011 page 192
92.0% ""I'm going to inflate my air mattress and drift downriver on it." ah, prophet..."
05/23/2011 page 209