jenjn79's Reviews > Kade

Kade by Cheyenne McCray

Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: series-armed-and-dangerous, published-2011, format-trade-pb, 2011, reviewed, info-full, genre-romance-erotic, stars-4-5, condition-new, bought-barnesnoble
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read from April 19 to 20, 2011 , read count: 1

I almost decided to skip this book because though I liked the first two in the series, I wasn't hooked into the series. And with so many other books to buy and read I debated passing on this one. I'm glad I didn't. I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

Series Note:
Third book in the "Armed and Dangerous" series. This one may be read as a standalone.

Additional Note:
This book/series is a rewrite of the "Wild" series that McCray wrote for Ellora's Cave epublisher years ago. This book was apparently originally the first book in the series, I believe.

Summary:
Reporter Kelsey Nichols is just coming of a bad divorce to a man who treated her badly. As part of her new start, she takes an assignment looking into the situation in border towns where illegal aliens are crossing into. Right from the start, the trip takes an interesting turn.

At the airport, she spies a handsome cowboy who ends up sitting next to her on the plane. Kade Owen, an intelligence agent, is smitten with the beautiful woman. He convinces her to have dinner with him but after that, Kelsey shoots him down. There's no way she's getting involved with a man again.

Avoiding Kade is easier said than done, though, because it turns out that Kade's family ranch is where she set up arrangements to stay while researching her story. And Kade can't believe his luck. It'll give him plenty of time to convince Kelsey to give him a chance.

Review:
This was a pretty simple book, but it was a sweet, enjoyable, quick read. I sped through it in one day and that doesn't happen often for me lately.

I liked the way the story started up...how they meet at the airport, the connect on the plane, then have dinner before Kelsey pushes him away. I had to chuckle when it turns out she'll be staying with Kade's family. Unrealistic, probably, but it was fitting to the story. It was a good set up for the story.

Plus, there's great chemistry between Kade and Kelsey. They set off sparks right from the start. I enjoyed reading about these two getting to know each other and the romance that bloomed. It helps that I liked both characters. Kade is a sweetheart. I don't always like stories with kids in them, but Kade's son was a pip and he fit the story well.

There's also a small bit of suspense plot to the story as Kade is trying to find out who is heading an operation to bring illegal aliens into the country. And when Kelsey gets involved, it gets more dangerous. It's not a very tense plot, just kind of a side bit to add a little oomph to the story. It worked for me.

My one major criticism was that the book really lacked connection to the other books in the series. It felt like a standalone book and not a book that was third in a series.

It was just an enjoyable book all around to read. Sweet romance, great characters, a nice story. It all made the book a great read.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex and language (somewhat moderate), a champagne scene, but nothing else over the top.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kade.

04/20/2011 page 305
100.0% "I really enjoyed this a lot. It took me less than day to read it. It was a sweet, sexy quick story. 4.5 stars. Finished 4/20/11"