Jeffrey Cohan's Reviews > A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: spirituality
Read in April, 2011

It feels a little strange to be writing a review of this book. After all, wouldn’t Tolle have all of us believing that we shouldn’t pass judgment? The book is what it is, right?

Well, I suppose I haven’t evolved enough, on Tolle’s terms. I still crave to critique, even after reading both this book and Eckhart Tolle Inc.’s first blockbuster, the Power of Now.

But if Tolle cared what I think about his work, which he apparently doesn’t, he would be happy to know that I consider myself an admirer, as a fellow capitalist.

This is a writer who has very few, if any, original ideas, but he has done a masterful job of repackaging Buddhism for the mass market in America. He even goes so far as to sprinkle his books with Jesus quotations, in a clever attempt to fool Christians into thinking that they’re getting something other than Eastern philosophy.

Although I might be distracted by the sound of the cash registers at Eckhart Tolle Inc. World Headquarters, I still give our wise elf four stars for making a genuine and appealing effort to describe the Truth.

Who can argue, as he says in “A New Earth,” that “on this planet, ‘normal’ equals insane?’’

I sincerely hope he’s right that humanity is evolving toward greater consciousness. But looking around me, I have some serious doubts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Earth.