Serena's Reviews > Sunrise Over Fallujah

Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: teaching-and-learning-shelf
Read from April 04 to 05, 2011

I was intrigued by this book by the currency of it-it's about the Iraq War, which is still very much happening. Because life here in the States goes on pretty much as normal even in the midst of a war, except for families with members serving overseas, it's easy to forget about the war and its effects. That's why I read this book.

At times I sobbed while reading this book and felt like my heart was ripping at the seams a little bit. Myers gives a raw, real (as far as I can tell anyway) account of the terror and humanity of war. The inside jacket says that Birdy, the main character, "finds that 'winning' sometimes becomes just surviving-and that hero is a complicated word." Myers truly shows the intricacies of morality and ethics as a soldier and the internal conflicts that Birdy deals with in his time overseas.

Even though this is a tough read, it's a good one. There's enough humor to keep the book readable, and I think this book would be a fantastic choice for a social studies class, since there is not much textbook material available yet for the Iraq War. This book raises interesting questions about war, heroism, and sacrifice, that would make for excellent, if difficult, classroom discussions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise Over Fallujah.

04/04/2011 page 158
52.0% ""I'd rather meet up with an IED on my own terms...""