Addy's Reviews > The Truth Is... My Life in Love and Music

The Truth Is... My Life in Love and Music by Melissa Etheridge

Apr 05, 2011

Read in April, 2011

I love Melissa Etheridge and saw this at my library and had been meaning to check it out for a while now. It wasn't a very long book so it only took me a few hours to get through. She talks about how she grew up, with an emotionally distant mother, her older sister who molested her, and her father who was the only one who supported her musical aspirations. She grew up in Kansas and talks about trying to get a music career going there, and also her issues with being gay. She left Kansas and drove out to L.A. where she became involved in a lot of relationships with women who were emotionally unavailable. It seems that when she wanted to commit, they did not, and she slept around with a lot. She seemed to leave one relationship and head right into another one. Eventually at one of her gigs in a bar she met her to be partner, Julie, whom at the time was married. Julie left her husband for Melissa and they had a tumultous ten year plus relationship, which ended with two children by IVF by the now infamous Crosby! She talks a lot about her life and her loves and more importantly, her music and how it all came to be. It was a very good read, I enjoyed it very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth Is... My Life in Love and Music.