Giselle's Reviews > The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Jul 12, 2011

bookshelves: middle-grade, mythology
Read from July 11 to 12, 2011

This finale was nothing short of spectacular! I mentioned in my reviews that the books have a lot of action, but this one was unreal. I loved it.

The final book of the Percy Jackson series starts a few days before his 16th birthday - duh duh duhhhhhh. Kronos is coming, and shit hits the fan! It did not lack in the entertainment department that's for sure! It didn't feel excessive though. I think maybe because this climax was long awaited and we were just ready for some hoopla.

The plot was awesome, well thought of and full of surprises even I didn't see coming. I think we saw pretty much all the characters return for at least a cameo which was cool! The setting was also perfect - though that may be because I was in NY not too long ago and actually stood at a few spots where the battle occurs. But even just imagining THE city in shambles gives the majestic feel to the battle that Riordan surely intended. And Typhon, he was amazing. During the whole book he's just slowly making his way towards NY like a bad omen. It was just frightening, especially his description used by both Mortals and non Mortals.

The ending was really excellent. It wasn't sappy (well maybe a tiny bit) nor was it too abrupt. We've got everything answered and even a glimpse of what the new series will evoke.

So I do admit that it took a few books for me to really enjoy this series enough to recommend it, but I'm happy that I kept going because in a whole it's a truly wonderful saga.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Olympian.

07/12 page 148
02/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Have you read the entire series? It seems very Harry Potter-esque to me and I loved that series, so maybe I'll check it out!

Giselle I did yeah. It's not as good as Harry Potter except maybe this one. But it's similar enough that most HP fans would enjoy it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sounds good! I finished The Hunger Games and Catching Fire! I love them! Thanks for the recommendations!