Robyn Blaber's Reviews > What French Women Know About Love, Sex and Other Matters of the Heart and Mind

What French Women Know  About Love, Sex and Other Matters of ... by Debra Ollivier

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: american-literature, non-fiction
Read from April 04 to 08, 2011

I was a little disappointed when I started reading this when I discovered that it was just another view by an American embedded in Paris. My disappointment faded, however as the author turned against the social mores of American life with a persistent ferocity. She does not go so far as to say that the French way of life is perfect, or even 'near' perfect, but she does say that many aspects of French life are superior to the American Way.

I found myself agreeing with every frankly laid out point. American puritanism, greed, gluttony, conformity, and materialism all come into scope to be felled one by one as 'completely unacceptable' in French life... and the author contends that this is a shameful thing to persist in America as well. The title of the book might have been more aptly phrased, "What American (Canadian, British) Women (and Men) Don't Know."

What did I come away with? 1. Take notice of the mysterious nature of French women, but do not fear the mystery; accept it. 2. Men are expected to act like men in France, particularly around French women. 3. Never ever date an American woman if you can at all help it.

This was a great read, if not a bit preachy.
Enjoy my friends,
Robyn
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What French Women Know About Love, Sex and Other Matters of the Heart and Mind.