Beata Bowen's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

May 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, did-not-finish, non-fiction, book-club
Read from April 12 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy

I love the cover of this book! It implies a book that's hip, clever, urban and like it's sure to offer new insights into obtaining happiness. To the book cover designer: here is five stars and a lollipop; you can go now.

Now, Gretchen... Gretchen is dull, whiny, a nag and her book is loaded with the most obvious suggestions. Like: getting more sleep, lighting a scented candle, not being such a nag (seriously woman, let your husband go to the gym). If I'm ever under house arrest or bed ridden, I may go through this book and count all the sentences that begin with: "Studies show..." What studies? Who funded them? Who conducted them? How many of these "studies" were conducted by Cosmo? ("people who have fun are twenty times as likely to feel happy." - how was this calculated?! I want to know!)

I couldn't finish it. I got to May and once Gretchen said that she could think of nothing that she enjoys, except for juvenile fiction, I had to give up. If you can't think of anything that you enjoy doing, maybe you shouldn't be writing books about happiness. You don't see me writing a book about molecular biology, do you?

But I am giving this book two stars, instead of one, because it made me think of all the things that make me happy. This list is by no means complete, but here it goes: snuggling with my dogs, 80 degrees with a slight breeze, coloring books, dining al fresco, tequila, not cooking, drinking red wine with friends, being completely out of my element while traveling, jacuzzis, deep tissue massage, journaling, long walks, airplanes, weeding my garden, "sh*t my dad says" tweets, planning trips, reading with no interruptions, long hot showers, the smell of jasmine, sleeping with the windows open (for an added bonus, I like ambient noise outside the window too), brand new journals with that off-white paper, sleeping on the top bunk during long train rides, eating pastries, clean house, gluing things, going to parties where I know people, skinny-dipping, getting lost in foreign places, eating street food, and not having to make my bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

04/12/2011 page 24