AndrewP's Reviews > High Couch of Silistra

High Couch of Silistra by Janet E. Morris

Apr 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 17 to 23, 2011

Always wanted to read this book since I saw the Boris cover many years ago.
Kind of an odd book that starts out as fantasy novel, but ends up more in a science fiction universe. Not bad but obvious sets up a sequel with a non event ending. Written in the late 70's it's a quick pulp paperback read and a nice change of pace from the 900-1,000 page epics that seem the norm now.
Luckily I picked up the follow up volume in the same bargain bin that I got this one from.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Couch of Silistra.

Sarah Hulcy This was the first book in a series of four. The second is The Golden Sword, the third is Wind from the Abyss and the fourth is The Carnelian Throne. The action speeds up in the 3rd and 4th books.

AndrewP Yeah, I have books 1, 2 and 4. Keeping an eye out for book 3, once I find it I will finish off the series.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Mar 06, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Hulcy They have it at Amazon for $.01! The shipping is about 3.95! I posted a comment on another page about Silistra where someone said it was basically about prostitution. So I had to explain what science fiction was like in the 60s and 70s and that Silistra was the first series that addressed strong female roles (not the idiot standing around going "Oh, shoot it, quick! Eeeekkk!") and it was the first series to address pansexuality so it caused a lot of raised eyebrows and the Europeans loved it!

message 4: by AndrewP (last edited Mar 22, 2012 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

AndrewP Found one on EBay for $3 and free shipping:) Will be finishing off this series pretty soon.

Sarah Hulcy Great, let me know what you think. We will be reissuing it in trade size with new covers and updated content. We are reissuing Janet's Sacred Band books (from Thieves' World originally) and will get to Silistra next, I think. Another Heroes in Hell book will come out in June or July 2012 called "Rogues in Hell" and it will have 28 stories... *whew* I had no plans for the next two months anyway...