Jen Marin's Reviews > A Young People's History of the United States: Columbus to the War on Terror

A Young People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction-education, nonfiction-history, y-a-nonfiction
Read in April, 2011

I found this young adult version of 'A People's History of the United States' to be a concise version of the original work. The editors have done a good job of toning down some of the more horrific parts of our shared history, without whitewashing it completely. Reading this book helped me to gain a sense of perspective, and recognize that the economic, military, and class struggles we have now at the dawn of the 21st century have their roots in the first steps that Europeans took on this continent.

I found the book encouraging, in fact. The things that unite us are stronger than the things that divide us. These divisions have been nurtured by the privileged few who gain from the lack of cohesion amongst the oppressed. When the poor of all races, colors, and regions can see through the smokescreen, we will become more powerful than we can imagine.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants a better understanding of American history. I am looking forward to sharing it with my children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Young People's History of the United States.

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara Soph and I started reading this at night with each other but we had to stop. She and I would get so stirred up that we couldn't sleep LOL I need to get us back into it...but during the daytime!