Ryn's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Aug 05, 2011

bookshelves: mystery
Read in April, 2011

Karin Slaughter always gives a pretty good thrill, but I'm getting a little tired of the whole Grant County scene. I absolutely love Will Trent, and I'd like to see him well away from Angie and preferably with Sarah, but all these serial killer-type situations in one tiny, minuscule, happy, joyous (as Slaughter delights in reminding us) town is getting a bit old, frankly.

It was entertaining, especially the interaction between Lena and Frank in the beginning. I was really sort of looking forward to a showdown between Sarah and Lena, but I think it was a good call on Slaughter's part to just leave out all the drama that would have ensued. In short, I like Slaughter's writing, I just really wish she'd branch out a bit more. Maybe change up the characters and the setting. I really like Will, but if dropping him is what it takes to add some spark to this constant whirlwind of Lena-Sarah-Jeffrey's issues, then I wish she'd just get on with it. Strangely enough, I don't like the stories about Will and Faith, either; she reminds me too much of Lena - harsh and forceful. You can certainly see how these characters have personality and come alive, but Will and Sarah by contrast come across as sweet, innocent angels to Faith and Lena's unhinged, unexpected rage. It's just kind of cynical and depressing to read. Amanda Wagner (Will's boss) could be added to this number too. Why can't the girls be more... balanced?

But I digress. 'Broken' is quite good if you're reading this author for the first time; not so good if this is your eighth experience with the books in this series.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Gail (new)

Gail Strickland I really don't like Lena. I live in a small town in Georgia and if we had as many bad guys as Grant County does..well, let's just say there would be more news in the local rag than the County Commissioners' meetings. I've been reading Slaughter's books since the first one (and have the latest on my to-read (IRL) shelf). Just when she aggravates me no end, the story draws me back in.

message 4: by Ryn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryn Agreed totally. Like I said, Slaughter's writing is spectacular, she's just got to stop harping on the Grant County scene (nice to know, btw, that they're not all crazy murderers out there ;)

Yeah, Lena and Faith? Psycho. PMS and a half. Forever.

message 3: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Hey I just recently purchased Karen Slaughter book and I was wondering if I should buy the sequel to broken first to understand the story more?

message 2: by Ryn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryn Hey, Janet! Personally, I don't think so. Yes, there is a whole background story involving Jeffrey, Sarah, Will, etc., but I think you can ignore it and be able to follow the plot. However, if you're one of those people who likes to be up on every nuance of the book, this won't work for you. I read it all out of order and it didn't wane my interest in the books at all... Hope that helps!

message 1: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Thank you. You help so much. I'm afraid I'm one of those people that needs to read things in order, but I really want to try Karen slaughter book out. So I will do something I've never done before READ OUT OF ORDER.