Bill's Reviews > Coraline

Feb 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: gn-elem, gn-middle-hs, fantasy
Read in February, 2008

A graphic novel version of the well-known horror novel in which a young girl's work-absorbed parents go missing, and she discovers a parallel universe inhabited by her other-mother (truly evil), other-father, nasty rats that do other-mother's bidding, and a talking cat. P. Craig Russell's adaptation has the right tone for upper elementary and middle school readers—very creepy but not terrifying. Also, his panel designs and panel flow should present a fresh and thoughtful style that will engage and grade 4-8 readers, causing them to stretch and think about reading graphically in new ways.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

Monica Edinger I found Coraline a lot older in the gn than I imagine her in the book. The gn is well done, but scarier too. When I read the book aloud to my fourth graders I rarely show any of the illustrations as they are too scary. But that other father in the basement in the gn...whew!

Bill I went back and forth on this. In the first few pages I thought she came off as older, but in other panels, I thought she was all right. I was surprised at how inconsistent PCR was in rendering her 'look.' A problem that I didn't comment on in the review (which is appearing as part of our piece in Book Links).

message 3: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia This was one of the very first fantasy-type novels I read and it was what made me get into the fantasy genre! I read it in fifth grade I think.