Mary Beth's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Book Three

The Walking Dead, Book Three by Robert Kirkman

Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: graphic
Read in April, 2011

I am reading this series somewhat out of order. Volumes One and Two were not available at my local library, so I checked out Three and Four and read those very quickly. Quickly because the story is thrilling and compelling and I can't stand cliff-hangers. We watched the AMC series, which was very well done, so I don't feel that I missed out on reading the first two volumes so very much(although I do look forward to reading them too as soon as I get my hands on them!).

It is a horror series, what with the zombies running around and eating good folks as they go about their business of surviving the zombie apocalypse and all, but that horror define this series. It is an amazing look at what people will do in an impossible situation. A good portion of the horror is rooted in what happens to civil society and culture. It is scary and brutal. Far more terrible then the zombies. And it is interesting to see how the author illustrates hope: the bond of family--both previously established and newly constructed on the lam. Family is precious in this book, and family is what propels the survivors to strive towards hope.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Book Three.

04/04/2011 "(I am reading these out of order because volumes 1 and 2 were not available at my library. No matter, really, as I am familiar with the story thanks to the AMC series.)"