Mamers's Reviews > One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street

One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street by Joanne Rocklin

May 10, 11

bookshelves: junior-novels, 2011
Read from May 03 to 10, 2011

This reads like your typical Newbery winner... Lots of endless narration, multiple storylines, secrets aplenty (and revealed piece by agonizing piece), and of course, a mysterious stranger to mix it all up. Each storyline is wound together and wrapped up with a nice little bow during the last 20 pages. What prompts me to give this 4 stars is that the characters are downright lovable and realistic. Some of them are going through some very tough times, but Rocklin never gets overly sappy. Even more than that, it reminds me of my childhood, when all the neighbor kids played together and the adults threw block parties. This book has a true sense of community and I promise you I will have my son reading this in a year or two. I'll just have to wait for 2012 to see if I'm right about the Newbery!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day and One Amazing Morning on Orange Street.

05/10/2011 page 120
54.0% "Lots of boring narration, multiple characters with secrets the author painstakingly builds upopn. Can we smell a Newbery?"