Rachel's Reviews > The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy

The Girl Who Was on Fire by Leah Wilson

Apr 05, 11

Read on April 04, 2011

Once I got around to actually reading them (I was a little late to the party), I became totally engrossed in The Hunger Games. I felt Katniss, despite her imperfections, was a much better heroine than many I've seen in recent years. Katniss is a girl of substance. She's got much better things to do than sitting around pining and whining over one controlling, possessive boy and therefore she's a bit more interesting to read about.

So, when I heard there was a collection of essays about the trilogy coming out I was incredibly intrigued. I was not disappointed. This anthology contains essays on the many themes present in the Hunger Games series including, Big Brother type surveillance, reality television, war reporting, genetic splicing, fashion and psychological trauma. These essays help you to delve further into the world of Panem and investigate the parallels between Katniss's world and our own.

Overall, I felt like sitting down with this book was much like sitting down with an incredibly intelligent, well spoken book club. There were serious moments, there were funny moments. The only downside, the book doesn't bring treats. I highly recommend to anyone who is a fan of the series.

*Disclaimer- I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for a fair, honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Was on Fire.