Shannon Brennan's Reviews > A Confederacy of Dunces

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confederacy of Dunces.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Sarah why just three stars?

message 4: by Shannon (last edited Jun 02, 2007 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shannon Brennan I will tell you why just 3: A Confederacy of Dunces was my second (as in, the second one I chose, not the second-place winner) favorite book in my youth. It was so funny! It was so clever! It was so entertaining! It was so ridiculous!

The book hasn't fallen at all in my estimation--but other books have risen to meet it, and risen above it. I suppose it really should get more like 4 stars (from me), since it still *is* all those adjectives I listed. Only, it didn't really *leave* me with anything, except a good laugh. Catch-22, which I read around the same time, and which features words and characters of equal absurdity, left me with something more emotional or intellectual or something.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Ok -- I'm glad you explained why only 3 stars. I wanted to comment a few days ago, but alas, my Internets have moved out from upstairs.

See, it's easier to grasp what the book left *me* with because I'm a medievalist, if that makes sense. It's a lot easier to see the futility of what I do, and to imagine myself someday selling hotdogs. It's a very, very scary book!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie P.s. sorry about the onslaught of deleted comments. There's unfortunately no "posted!" screen on this thing, but rather just a little read message at the top. So I basically clicked and clicked until there were like 18 comments. lol

Sarah Julie, at least you are attractive and socially adroit. So, even if the medievalism doesn't pan out, you can at least be a burlesque dancer! Can you imagine Ignatius naked? I had a roommate just like him once. Terrible smells still pervade my nostrils when I think of the guy.
ok...back to my reading.