elissa's Reviews > Pink

Pink by Lili Wilkinson

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: 2011favorites, australianauthors, youngadult, glbtq, my_10s_reads, capitol_choices_2012
Read from April 03 to 05, 2011

Another excellent Australian YA author! This was a super quick read for me, with a likeable (teen emo lesbian) main character. I passed it off to my 13-yr old son as soon as I was done, and he read almost half of it before going to sleep last night, even though he told me recently that he was really only interested in reading new science fiction novels. I told him yesterday that this one was at least new, and it has an SF film festival toward the end. It's also blurbed by John Green (and mentions David Levithan in the dedication), which helped convince him. This one is all about finding your place, and it ponders that so well, with fun banter in one of the groups that's a possibility for Ava (the main character) to belong to. I love the mess that she gets herself into, and the way it's all resolved. Very realistic, but only for somebody brave and in charge of her destiny. My first 2012 Capitol Choices nomination.

Update 1/23/12: Whoo hoo! I nominated this for Cap Choices (one of my only 2 nominations all year--this one made the final list but my 2nd nom didn't), and it was a YMA Honor award-winner (it was one of the 4 Honor books for the Stonewall Book Award, for GLBT books).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pink.

Jamila I enjoyed this as well. It's cool that your son is devouring it!

elissa He's a good reader! :)

message 3: by elissa (last edited Jan 25, 2012 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

elissa Definitely looks like they're not widely available here. Amazon only has one other one on sale new (but lots from other sellers). Maybe now that she's had a little bit of recognition, that'll change? Good seeing you last Friday, K. :)