Two Bibliomaniacs's Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Mar 19, 2013

bookshelves: evan-top-1-100

Why: Shutter Island will absolutely make you shutter (in a good way).

The book opens as US Marshal, Teddy Daniels, arrives via ferry boat at a hospital for the criminally insane. His assignment is to investigate the mysterious disappearance of an inmate on the island. Seems pretty straightforward, right? Wrong. Almost at once Teddy realizes something is terribly amiss on the creepy and harsh island. No one can be trusted and in the end, the web of deceit is arguably more preferable than the truth.

As a rule, psychological thrillers aren’t really our favorite genre, but Shutter Island knocked our socks off (and turned them a little yellow). The novel is fast paced and veiled in lies and half truths. It’s impossible to know who to trust and even more difficult to predict the ending – we tried multiple times and failed. Teddy Daniels is an incredibly complex character and extremely well written. In fact, all the characters received our Two Bibliomaniacs stamp of approval for realness. Additionally, the setting is epic-scary and enough to give any reader nightmares for a week to ten days.

We should also mention that our primary motivation for reading this novel was to allow the viewing of the movie. (We maintain a very strict book before movie policy in our family). We are very happy to report that the movie also scored high on our Likeability Scale. Probably an 8 out of 10 or a 4 out of 5 depending out your preferred rating methodology. While it was a little difficult to actually watch the pivotal lake scene from the book, overall the screen play was faithful and the suspense was maintained throughout.

For us, it’s full speed ahead to Mystic River... as soon our library copy becomes available. Hopefully Lehane will deliver for us again!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.