Andrew's Reviews > The Logic of Scientific Discovery

The Logic of Scientific Discovery by Karl Popper

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: philosophy, philosophy-of-science, analytic-philosophy
Read in April, 2011

90% of the value of Popper today, especially for the non-scientist is in the first part of the book. Popper reconciles Kant's observations about how the world is ultimately filtered through the lenses of space and time with a fundamentally empiricist, materialist sense of reality. While I disagree with some of his assertions-- especially his complete disavowal of inductive reasoning, and his general disregard for non-scientific knowledge-- I respect his method and, as a fellow empiricist, believe that his scientific (but definitely NOT his political) philosophy has made the world a better place, and paved the way for the pioneering efforts of Kuhn, Lakatos, and others. Read the Logic of Scientific Discovery if you're at all interested in the nature of inquiry. Philosophy of science emerges as a mature discipline, and science itself gets its best definition.

My lack of technical knowledge prevented me from fully understanding large sections. My limited knowledge of quantum theory and probability, along with my complete lack of knowledge about the works of Bernoulli and others, made the latter half of the Logic of Scientific Discovery utterly impenetrable. However, it's still very much worth reading the first part.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Logic of Scientific Discovery.