Jenny Robinson's Reviews > Down and Out in Paris and London

Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down and Out in Paris and London.

04/10/2011 page 13
6.0% "It's a pretty depressing start but i really like the descriptions of all of the characters. My favorite character described so far is probably Henri who works in the sewers and has a criminal record. The writing is so fluid and engaging so I'm excited to read more. I like that parts are in French because I understand most of it and it makes me think that 4 years of French has finally paid off."
04/14/2011 page 45
21.0% "This book has gone from slightly humorous to incredibly depressing. He talks about poverty in a very interesting way. he focuses on how it's embarrassing and boring as opposed to really sad and difficult. In really emotionally heavy situations he makes such light comments which make it seem even more depressing (like saying a rapist is "a curious specimen")."
04/26/2011 page 213
100.0% "I didn't end up liking this book. It was not only depressing, but it was also hard to swallow all of his racist comments. Despite being poor it is hard for me to feel bad for him because he is constantly complaining about everything and attacking the wealthier class. At the end of the book I don't feel like I have reached any greater understanding or purpose."