Tami's Reviews > My New American Life

Read in April, 2011

Haven't received yet, just notice I had won. 4/4/11
Received my copy but have 2 in front. Hope to start soon. 4/18/11
Just started today, 4/21/11

Lula is an illegal immigrant from Albania. She came over on a visa saying she wanted to see relatives before her return to marry her sweetheart. She worked as a waitress and had the typical immigrant life you would think of, but then she answered a want-ad for a nanny. She is 26 and is basically a warm body to be home when a teenage boy gets home from school. She isn't the housekeeper; they have someone else for that. The mother has some type of mental issue and is absent from the home, so her life it basically a fill in mom for a kid that is barely younger than her. She is feeling much older than she really is.

First, the cover really threw me off. It had me thinking this would be set in either the 50's of the early 60's and that it would be more a Donna Reed type scenario. It is set in present day, well, almost. President Bush is still president.

I did enjoy the book. I kept thinking she is so silly, but put it to her being foreign and having to figure out how things are done in a strange country. For being a cynical and paranoid as she is, I felt some of the instances were a bit far fetched, but it still seemed to work for the book. A pretty good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My New American Life.