Miriam's Reviews > The Pilgrim of Hate

The Pilgrim of Hate by Ellis Peters

F 50x66
Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: mystery, reread, fiction, wales
Read in March, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was actually the first Cadfael mystery I read, because I was reading reviews of the TV adaptation and saw that everybody who had read the book hated the TV version. This book made me decide to read through the series in order, and this is still my favorite so far. There are a lot of coincidences, and I hate the fact that the male half of the obligatory romantic couple hits the female. I know for the period it wouldn't have been that unusual, but I hate it when any type of abuse is part of a romantic relationship in a book (I'm looking at you, Jane Eyre). However, I love this book because of what it shows about Cadfael's relationship with God and Saint Winifred. I think Peters does a great job of portraying the religious aspects of the story in a way that is moving and respectful without trying to convert the reader (something at which most of the Christian novels that I have read fail utterly). There is a joyousness to Cadfael's internal dialogues with his saint that I love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilgrim of Hate.