Mari Biella's Reviews > Desperation

Desperation by Stephen King

Jan 17, 2014

bookshelves: horror, contemporary, dark-fiction, modern, supernatural

Say what you will about Stephen King, but you’ve got to hand it to our man in Maine: sitting down with one of his novels is never a struggle. Having read a number of his books, I’ve gradually come to think of him as being a bit like an old friend: a charming, chatty old friend who, for the price of a paperback, will happily sit down with you and tell you one of his numerous stories, stories whose occasional nastiness seems quite at odds with their mild-mannered narrator. On this level, Desperation does not disappoint; you’re likely to be hooked from the very first page. And, yes, it really is pretty nasty – but then I have got a slight phobia of creepy little towns, so I would say that.

Highway 50 in Nevada is apparently (being a Brit I’d hardly know) “The Loneliest Highway in America” – not the kind of place where you’d want to run out of petrol, have an accident or, indeed, meet a seemingly psychopathic policeman, as a random group of travellers are about to find out to their cost. In fact, the policeman is just the tip of the iceberg, as the actual source of the horror is something bigger, older and considerably more deadly than one man. The small mining town of Desperation, once a small but safe and friendly place, has been devastated by an ancient evil, and it falls to a ragged group of survivors to do battle with that evil.

It’s astounding how many of our primal fears King works on, and with what apparent ease: the fear of being possessed, the fear of bodily degeneration and decay, the dark, being alone, not being alone, wide open spaces, confined spaces, and of course what horrors might lurk in those spaces. In many ways this is not for the easily-upset: it’s genuinely horrific on occasion, and most certainly gory. King was never the man to spare us sickening physical details, and he’s on form here, disgusting us with every dribble of blood, every rotten lump of flesh and every putrid corpse. The foulness can get a bit much on occasion, and yes, it does begin to feel a bit gratuitous, but it’s a compelling story, so you can overlook that.

There are one or two gripes: as is so often the case with King, he starts off so well, and with such an intriguing premise, that he actually sort of writes himself into a corner; the ending is a disappointment, not to mention unintentionally mildly funny. And of course there are the recycled characters, the characters who have made numerous appearances in other King novels – the young boy with strange powers, the weary, cynical writer, the slightly downtrodden woman who has to struggle against the odds – but then again the fact that they keep coming back only really testifies to how successful they were to begin with. If ever a writer was a victim of his own success, it’s SK; but then, in accordance with one of the major themes of the novel, God is cruel. Recommended, if not for the faint of heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desperation.

05/12 marked as: read

Erin Woolard Don't believe I could have said it better myself! -A huge SK fan

Mari Biella Thanks for the comment, Erin!

Ruth Turner Excellent review, Mari. Starting one of his books is exactly like you say. A long awaited visit from an old friend with a new story to tell.

Mari Biella Thanks for the comment, Ruth! Yes, that's exactly how I've always felt when beginning an SK novel: that I'm meeting up with an old friend again. Admittedly, this old friend has an occasionally ghastly imagination... :-)

Ruth Turner Mari wrote: "Thanks for the comment, Ruth! Yes, that's exactly how I've always felt when beginning an SK novel: that I'm meeting up with an old friend again. Admittedly, this old friend has an occasionally ghas..."

Yes he does. And he always seems to know exactly which of my buttons to press!

Savanna D great review of king and the novel at hand. thanks.

Mari Biella Savanna wrote: "great review of king and the novel at hand. thanks."

Thanks, Savanna - glad you enjoyed the review!

Luciana When the policeman Collie Entragian finds a reason to arrest each and one of the travelers, that is when I feel as if everything will get out of control. King has that ability to awake forebodings, uneasiness and anxiety directly in the first pages of the book, especially when you know what to expect coming from his the most recondite places in his mind. He is not merciful with his characters, making them experience antagonists and obstacles that you would never want to mess with in your entire life. This was my second book after The Shining and I strongly believe it must receive the same amount of popularity. I was thinking that they should even make a film-adaptation, but after seeing what the terrible job they did for The Shining, I don't think it's the best idea...

Mari Biella Thanks for the comment, Luciana. I agree - nobody can awaken fear and foreboding in quite the way that Stephen King can! Desperation would make a great film, too. It's strange that you didn't like the film adaptation of The Shining because lots of people (including me) love it, but apparently King wasn't exactly smitten with it either.

Anurag Excellent review. This is my favourite SK novel till date. There are few other novels where in-your-face over the top horror has been done in such a masterful fashion.

message 11: by Mari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mari Biella Thanks for the comment, Anurag. I quite agree - no one does this kind of horror like Stephen King!

message 12: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda You're so right about King. He never disappoints. I never have to patiently wait to get into a story - he grabs me right away, every time. Had a question for you. 2 actually. 1. Did you read The Regulators? That's supposed to be the companion/fraternal twin of Desperation. I've read Regulators, but not this one. 2. Which of his books is your least favorite? I personally didn't care for The Talisman. I wouldn't say it was bad, but after reading it I thought I'd have been better off reading something else.

message 13: by Mari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mari Biella Thanks for the comment, Melinda. I haven't read The Regulators, but if it's the companion to Desperation I suppose I'd better add it to my to-read list. Your second question is a tough one, because I can't honestly say I've ever disliked any of King's books. If I really had to pick one, I'd go for Bag of Bones - not because I didn't enjoy it (I did), but because it just didn't grab me in quite the same way as the others did. Even for my least favourite King novel, though, it's still incredibly good!