Amy's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

F_50x66
Apr 04, 11

Read in April, 2011

I am such a fan of Michael Cunningham's (The Hours, Specimen Days) that I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. He is a very good writer, and he fleshes out characters well. The main characters in this one are "two boyhood friends: Jonathan, lonely, introspective, and unsure of himself; and Bobby, hip dark, and inarticulate." We follow Bobby and Jonathan through their awkward adolescence and as they make their way into manhood, grappling with the complicated relationships with their families and each other. They grow up in the 60s and 70s in Cleveland, and Jonathan moves to NY to go to college. He starts to build a life with his older, eccentric roommate, Clare. As a gay man and a single woman who are very close friends, they half jokingly talk about when they will eventually have a baby and raise him/her together. When Bobby moves in with them, things get complicated as he and Clare eventually fall in love.

There are a lot of good parts, and the characters seem very real. Perhaps is isn't fair to judge a book by its author's past accomplishments, but I felt like this one lacked the emotional pull of some of his earlier works. Even so, the book is well written and a fast read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.