Misha's Reviews > Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

Apr 03, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2010

I really enjoyed reading the perspective of one polygamists's experience. She was not entirely factual, especially when she spoke of the LDS church, but I did find her story intriguing. How she could remember so many details and conversations, is a little questionable, but otherwise I think it's a very interesting read. There seem to be so many more problems, jealousies and sadness in this type of relationship. Irene Spencer used the quote from Brigham Young that said "Polygamy will dam more people than it will save" and I believe it. It really would take a nearly perfect and Godly man (and woman!) to live that principle. Irene had a hard life. One of poverty, stress, loneliness, and unfulfilled dreams. To have 14 children (out of the 58 that her husband fathered) and to raise them without a present husband, would be terribly hard. She was the second wife out of what become 10 wives total for her husband Verlan. I learned a lot about this particular branch of polygamists and had a few misconceptions of my own corrected. To read about the family dynamics, quarrels and the complexity of relationships, I would definitely not choose this type of arrangement! Faith is a powerful tool in molding, sustaining, making decisions and providing purpose to one's life and where it takes us. Sometimes it can be blind, as Irene found in this instance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Dreams.