Makereal's Reviews > The Age of Innocence

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

U_50x66
Jul 07, 11

Read in May, 2011

Well, I was in a rush so I had a hard time slowing down for this book. So just starting this book led me to watching the movie with Chris which was it's OWN accomplishment! (He watched every minute of it and then participated in book group!) And then my book group revealed to me the incredible importance of Newland Archer's choice to be made at the end of the book. So I went back and read the last 40 pages as recommended. I guess as my Emily says, "Why is it SO hard to like Archer?" And then she asked "Why don't we like May either?" Of course my book group friend said he thought May was "innocent like a fox!" Loved that. Apparently, this was Edith Wharton's sentimental memoir of the pre WWI days and it is still a biting cynical criticism of the social constraints of the NY society. But, if you read it as a tragedy, watching Archer evolve to a loyal and honorable life, what does that say about our current laisse faire approach to emotional pursuits? Was May the "winner"? So much more to think about with this book.
Adding, two months later, when I finally sat down and read the last couple scenes. I can see why the book was such a sensation and a criticism of the society that Wharton had come from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Innocence.

05/16/2011 page 50