Lain's Reviews > The Friday Night Knitting Club

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Feb 19, 08

** spoiler alert ** If this weren't about knitting..I probably wouldn't have picked this up. While the premise is entertaining, the executing left something to be desired.

I found the characters to be shallow and not all that likeable, and the jumping between viewpoints to be distracting and choppy. (Maeve Binchy is a master of this art, so it can be done successfully). The overall effect was a tome that was ponderous and difficult to read.

Georgia (to be blunt) gave me a pain with her stand-offishness, and I was not at all clear as to why other women flocked around her and offered her their undying affection and admiration. And the idea of James and Cat returning to her life within a matter of weeks was WAY too coincidental.

My favorite characters were those who got the least playtime. Now that Georgia's gone, maybe we can see more of the rest of the group -- the more interesting members.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friday Night Knitting Club.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tammy Totally agree with this review.

I have to say I too could not find anything likeable about Georgia. She seemed closed off, humorless and bland. Even when [SPOILER alert]she and James reconnected, she didn't regain any humor or joie de vivre. I dare say [HUGE SPOILER alert] I didn't even care when she died at the end... sad, but true.

Lain So with you! I felt so harsh writing my review... but I wanted to be honest. Glad you agreed!

Deena I thought the choppiness was just me. I thought it was hard to keep track of who was who, but sometimes I get too easily distracted. Glad to hear maybe it wasn't me....

I think Georgia was on her way to redeeming herself and I would have liked to see that explored.

Liska It almost wasn't even that Georgia was closed off, but that she was so self-aware of doing so.

Lain I tried to read the next one but couldn't even get past the first few chapters!

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Argh, Lain I have this one on the shelf. I have tried to pick it up and never been able to actually start it... will give it a try next but I held little hope that it would rock my world. I hold out even less hope now!

Lain I will try anything that has to do with knitting... but I was so disappointed!