Danni's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Apr 06, 11

Read on April 06, 2011

As a lover of all things Kelly Armstrong, I may be slightly biased in my opinion on this book. She would have to do something pretty terrible for me to stop reading what is, to date, my favorite author. That being said, there were parts of this book that put me off slightly. The fact that, like her previous YA trilogy, there was a female protagonist with two male 'suitors' was one such fact. Regardless of the fact that their relationships were completely different than that of the characters in the other series, it made it feel slightly formulaic.

Despite that, however, I adore this book. There is thrilling action scenes, and scenes that make you think. Emotional scenes that, while they didn't leave me in tears, left me feeling sad and closer to the protagonist than ever before. It was truly well written.

If there was one thing I wanted more of, it was answers. At the end of the book you feel like saying 'wait, that's it?' The upside of that, of course, is you're going to be getting the next book the day it releases to find some of the answers to the questions that Armstrong has you asking yourself the entire way through. The downside is that vague feeling of unfulfillment when you reach the last page and realize there's nothing more to read.

Above all, though, I think the storyline and writing makes this book fantastic and more than worth the read. I will be sitting in utter despair until the next book comes out and I can read more about Maya, Daniel and Rafe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.