Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

Apr 03, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: literature

Boy, this was really good until it wasn't at all anymore. An intriguing story which suddenly turned into some sort of muddled message about patriotism? Capitalism? Christianity? Anarchy? Communism? The soul of all mankind? How redheads are hot and god is fat? Don't know, don't care.

Blah. Skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Was Thursday.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Today, he's "the prince of piss me off."

message 2: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 09, 2011 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez There's also the possibility that I'm just lashing out. But, yeah...extremely disappointing in the end, very good for the first big chunk. Maybe I'm just dense?

message 3: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 09, 2011 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez I wouldn't let myself look at the reviews of this before vomiting up my own opinions. Seeing them now, the ratings seem to be pretty scattered by people I generally trust the opinions of. I wouldn't mind having it explained to me what I am missing, but nothing will take away the irritating nature of the last stretch of the book and how much willpower (or just plain stubbornness) that it took me to finish it.

message 4: by Judi (new)

Judi Sounds like it would give one a headache. I enjoy your reviews. Just became a "follower" of yours on Good Reads.

message 5: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 09, 2011 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Thanks! Mariel apparently deleted all her comments, so now it just looks like I talk to myself. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me much to appear insane.

message 6: by Judi (new)

Judi I like your taste in reads. I now have a cookbook/resource that works.

Paquita Maria Sanchez YAY! This site is so good for that. The Joy of Cooking Reading!

message 8: by Judi (new)

Judi A real reader, and so young. I am dazzled. You write very well. I will be following.

message 9: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy In GK Chesterton's defense, redheads are hot. And I've heard that mana goes straight to your hips.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Proof:

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Further Proof:

message 12: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Prosecution rests.

message 13: by Paquita Maria (last edited May 11, 2011 04:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Oh, nice...sad I missed this exchange of HAWTness. (That was why I read this).

P.S. Fat Jesus RULES.

message 15: by Judi (new)

Judi Like.

message 16: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Fleshy, I just made that video my gchat status AND my facebook status. Memed.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio He has a whole series of quick "impressions [he's] been working on" from that stand-up special. Hang on...

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Timid Pimp. Effeminate Gay Basher. Forgetful Vegan. Five Year Old Who Complains About Having A Beard. But the Pretentious Illiterate reigns supreme in my book.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I fucking love that series. Kristi does, too. Charlize Theron manages to be both hotter and more stoned-looking than ever in her interview.

message 22: by Jacob J. (new)

Jacob J. To quote Borges, "Such a pity that he became a Catholic".

message 23: by Lyn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lyn Ha! great review

message 24: by Stef (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stef Rozitis Very, very accurate review!

Christiansibelieve Wow. The images within the comments are a mockery.