Diana's Reviews > A Soft Place to Land

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: bookclub
Read in April, 2011

Huh.
Read this for bookclub (I probably would never have picked up this book otherwise). That being said, it's not the worst chick-lit I've read. But it is that- "chick-lit" and all that that entails.
(read: your next Lifetime Movie of the Month)

Spoilers below- consider yourself warned (as if you need spoilers for any book about sisters... right?)

It's EXACTLY what you think it will be. In fact, using the word "spoiler" is kind of redundant here.

Self-absorbed, closed-off lead female character? check
Angst-driven plot? check
Sibling (*SISTERLY*) rivalry? check
Will-they-won't-they romance? check

I felt sorry for Ruthie for the first hundred or so pages. Ruthie, but not Julia. I found Julia completely unsympathetic and selfish even though the author tried to get me on her side.

And I was so sad Ruthie turned into a typical San Fransiscan. She got more and more empty as the book went on and I realize that she had to withhold from Gabe in order to create a climatic moment for the book - but seriously? Who would withhold something like that knowing that Gabe was so strongly pro-life? Too manufactured and too predictable to keep me properly engaged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Soft Place to Land.