Audrey's Reviews > The Raven's Bride: A Novel

The Raven's Bride by Lenore Hart

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, ya
Read from April 09 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy

Fox Mulder, Mozart from Amadeus, and Edgar Allan Poe were totally my imaginary boyfriends when I was fourteen so reading The Raven's Bride, a fictionalized biography of Virginia Clemm Poe, Edgar's cousin and "child bride", immersed me in nostalgia. Lenore Hart convincingly portrays Virginia not as a meek and passive wisp who faded into her death at the age of twenty-four, but as a determined, responsible, intelligent young woman with a maturity older than her years. There's no intrigue or plot twists, so the story did plod along sometimes. The weakest point was the parts on Edgar Allan Poe's lady friends, towards the end of the book - it was weird and I'm not exactly sure what was going on there. But generally, Hart's writing was pleasant and Virginia was so likable that I sped along nonetheless. Edgar Allan Poe, a very troubled man often consumed by his vice for alcohol, was depicted with sympathy but not sentimentality through Virginia's eyes. As you would expect with a book with Edgar Allan Poe as a character, there is some supernatural bits in there, but it's certainly not a main focus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven's Bride.

04/10/2011 page 109