Kristyn Conner's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

May 20, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2011
Read from May 19 to 20, 2011

The amazing thing about John Green's writing is that it can keep me stationary in one place for longer than any other author's has. It was the same way with Looking for Alaska, which I sort of considered an anomaly in itself since I usually don't adore young adult fiction, and for a few weeks, I subconsciously assumed that his other novels wouldn't captivate me in the same way.

I was wrong.

'Paper Towns' is about young Quentin Jacobsen and his quest to locate his missing friend, Margo, who disappears immediately after the two of them enjoy a bold and fun-filled night together. Perhaps what instantly engulfed me was the fact that the first one-third of the novel takes place in the greater Orlando area and in the suburbs where I (like Quentin and Margo) spent my senior year of high school. As they weave in and out of the streets of Central Florida and past some of the area's most famous landmarks, I was at once reminded of my own late-nights galavanting on International Drive and in the tourist-filled Kissimmee. And while I am in no way, shape or form quite the adventurer that Margo is, there were moments where I could definitely see resemblances of myself in her character.

The real gem in this book, however, is Quentin, and as he and his friends spend the majority of the novel trying to uncover the secrets behind Margo's disappearance, the reader is left with enough exciting escapades to last a lifetime. Ultimately, however, my one complaint lies with Green's ending: when the boys finally do discover what has happened to their fellow classmate, it is a total and complete "what the fuck?" moment. Despite the fact that this novel, as a whole, is totally genuine and quite relevant to the lives of the average American teenager, the ending itself seemed (in my opinion) a tad unrealistic and improbable.

All in all, the perfect read for someone who's looking for a quick and modern adventure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Quotes Kristyn Liked

John Green
“When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that, we were just looking at ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never seeing inside. But once the vessel cracks, the light can get in. The light can get out.”
John Green, Paper Towns