Anke's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Apr 08, 11

Read from April 03 to 08, 2011

Halfway through the book, I find it hard to believe how fast this reads, and how hard I find it to put it down. I have a soft spot for Mankell ever since I saw him talk live (and found that I could well listen for a few more hours) but in some of the Wallander mysteries, I got a bit tired of rants about the political climate in Sweden. This one had only a reasonable amount of that, and I'm enjoying it.

_____________

Finished the book - a bit sad that this is definitely the end of the series, but I think it is a worthy ending to a series that covered roughly two decades of Wallander's life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan This looks like it's a series I might enjoy. Have you read any of the others?

Anke I have read most of the series (I think I may have missed one towards the end) and quite liked it - I like that the books are connected by the main character, a Swedish policeman, struggling with his family life, getting older and dealing with the changing political/social situation in Sweden. (And one in Africa - the author lives about half of the year in Africa so it's an important topic to him).
The writing style is - I'd call it a sober Scandinavian tone, if that makes any sense to anyone but me! :)

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan That is totally up my alley! I'm going to give one a whirl. :)

Anke I probably wouldn't recommend this one to start with because it is the last book in the series. I think it might make it a bit nicer to start with another one so you get to see the whole story of Kurt Wallander unfold (not that I have really read them in order myself, I think I started somewhere in the middle and then jumped around).

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole Here is the correct order of the Kurt Wallander series. The dates refer to the original Swedish publication date which may be different from the date of the English translation. Read them in the order of the Swedish dates:

Faceless Killers 1991
The Fifth Woman 1996
One Step Behind 1997
Firewall 1998
The Pyramid 1999
Before the Frost 2002 (features Linda Wallander, Kurt's daughter)
The Troubled Man 2009