Maddy's Reviews > Nine Days a Queen: The Short Life and Reign of Lady Jane Grey

Nine Days a Queen by Ann Rinaldi

F_50x66
Apr 03, 11

Nine Days a Queen follows the short life and reign of Lady Jane Grey. The book is told in first person as she grows up in the court of King Henry VIII and the course of events which lead her to be crowned the Queen of England. Although the first person narration makes for obvious flaws in the end of the book, it allows for genuine character connection. For being such a light, quick read, I was surprised at how deeply Nine Days a Queen impacted me. I was not expecting something so historically enlightening, interesting, or profoundly sad when I started this book. The book was small, but the story introduced to a captivating piece of history I would have overlooked otherwise. Largely, I enjoyed the way in which the book was written. The style of writing gave life to a story, which could have been told in a far less interesting manner. . I was surprised at how emotionally attached I felt to Lady Jane, a character who was not necessarily exceptional in the normal teenage literature fashion. She was royalty and a historical figure, but she felt somewhat normal in the story. I did not necessarily relate with her character or circumstances, but I still felt as though I understood her. I think one of the author’s biggest accomplishments was how badly I wanted for Jane to be all right. I found myself hoping, even until the very last page that she really would be spared from her terrible execution. I have a feeling if I read the book again, I would still build up the same hope. For myself, I enjoyed reading the story because there were small details, seemingly trivial, that shaped the story into something more interesting than I might have found in a textbook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Days a Queen.