Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > The War of the Flowers

The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, light-fantasy

The War of the Flowers was a frustrating book for me. I read it after finishing Tad Williams' amazing Otherland series and, in many ways I was not disappointed. The world in War is rich, detailed, and fascinating. The character motivations feel real and are not rushed, and the descriptions were incredible. Honestly, the only thing I didn't like was the main character, who whined way too much and was thoroughly unlikeable.

War takes Theo, a musician in our world, and sends him to that mysterious land where fairies are real and have created a world that is eerily similar to our own and yet dissimilar all at the same time. The world of Fairy has cars and phones and even computers, but they run on something different than electricity: They run on magic.

But fairies has a problem: Magic only works as long as mankind believes. With belief waning in the modern world, the world of Fairy is suffering power outages and political infighting.

To reveal much more would be to give away a very intricate plot and fascinating world. Both of those things make the book more than worth reading.

At the same time, the book has a big problem: the main character. As a protagonist, Theo is thoroughly unlikeable. He is whiny and incompetent. As a reader you want to strangle him and almost root for him be devoured by some nasty creature along the way.

Other than that, the book is amazing and the world in the book is so fascinating that it is possible to overlook the main character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of the Flowers.