Kirstie's Reviews > West Coast Blues

West Coast Blues by Jacques Tardi

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from April 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'm always so excited to find more Tardi books that have been translated and this is a really interesting one. It's actually a graphic novel that has been adapted from the original novel by Jean-Patrick Manchette. I haven't read the original so I am not sure how this compares in terms of accuracy but the best part about this one is the mood. In many ways, the plot is far fetched and yet a little formulaic, though somewhat reminiscent of Cohen Bros. It starts with a late night 90mph drive and an accident..wrong place, wrong time then running for one's life. The protagonist is married with kids but certainly doesn't act the part for one frame of the novel. He meets a whole set of characters on the run from the hired assassins and one gets the impression that he's able to handle everything and everyone that comes to him until his life returns to normal..and if by chance he doesn't really have amnesia about the whole thing, he'll just take his Five Roses Bourbon and his barbiturates before hitting the road again.

This is much less whimsical than the Adventures of Adéle Blanc-Sec and the narrative is more an outlandish crime fiction. Still, the drawings are great and it's engaging enough to make it worthwhile reading.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read West Coast Blues.

message 1: by Dan's (new)

Dan's Obsessions I have this translated in my country, I knowit's been out on print for more than 3 yrs now), but sitll I was hesitating to go and give it a try ( too expencive & I also senced that Tardi was moving to a new direction care to pass a good word for him?

Oouh I took the liberty of sending Ya a ltter hopefully U ;ll raed it before this month is out