Maureen Milton's Reviews > Queen of the Falls

Queen of the Falls by Chris Van Allsburg

Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: caldecott-2012, juniors, primaries, intermediates
Read in June, 2011

While I always admire Chris Van Allsburg's work, I do not always appreciate it. Sometimes it seems as though it is adult fantasy wedged into the children's picture book market. That said, I know that he and all of his work have fans among the short set, but it's an interesting select.

Fortunately, "Queen of the Falls," is a work of non-fiction that is just off-kilter enough to draw the formidable drawing (and storytelling) genius of Van Allsburg. I haven't tried the story out on Juniors or Primaries as a readaloud, but my own 10-year-old loved it. I'll test it out on the 13-year-old upon his return from camp.

As a Caldecott contender, I believe that the book has legs. Van Allsburg is a master, and in this title, his extraordinary use of white on sepia evokes the age & times of the subject, as well as the roiling quality of Niagara Falls and Annie Taylor's desperation as the erstwhile "queen." The characters' expressions are rendered with Renaissance-master-level precision. The cover and endpapers are sound, if utilitarian, but the cloth cover (obscured by most library copy covers)is brilliant.

I have a question of eligibility, though. The title page lists 2010 as the date, while the copyright in the back is given as 2011. Hmm...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of the Falls.