Ni_kii's Reviews > Silent Storm

Silent Storm by Vivian Arend

Silent Storm is the third book in the Pacific Storm series. Laurin and Matt are still aboard Stormchild, free to begin their lives after the events of the last book made it clear that the Avian shifters were no longer a threat to their happiness. It should be perfect, but Laurin is still holding herself back from Matt. She is not only an avian shifter, she is also a powerful asset to her tribe, destined to enhance the power of whoever she mates with. How can she turn her back on her people to mate with Matt?

Matt is happy to sit back and wait for her to realise that he has no desire to change her. He believes that he has all the time in the world, but then a new arrival on the boat threatens to destroy their world. Kallen is a powerful shifter with a problem. His douche of a brother has put a curse on him that means that he remains in his eagle form. Matt is a Shaman. This isn't a job title, it's a way of life. Everything in him screams at him to help the stricken shifter, in the way only he can. Unfortunately the green eyed monster rears its ugly head because Matt realises that, in order to help Kallen, he has to allow Kallen to share in the magic that he and Laurin release when they have sex.

Laurin has always admired the handsome Kallen. The feelings she harbours towards him are more than friendly, therefore she feels very uncomfortable with him aboard their boat. When Matt tells her what she has to do to break the curse, she is completely conflicted. Having him in their bed feels like betrayal, but can she leave him in trouble when she has the power to help?

This book isn't my favourite of the series (which is the second), but it is a good ending to it, and fits well with the other two books. The scene from book 2, where Laurin watches the highly sexed Otters and their fascinating ritual, paves the way for her participation in the menage, a fact which ties the books together well. The constant referrals to the other book's mean that is probably a good idea to read the series as a whole, although any mention is indepth enough to mean that this is not a necessity.

The whole book was incredibly hot and comes with the added warning it features anal sex and a menage. I'm not going to wax lyrical about the strength of Vivian Arend's writing when it comes to sex scenes,she is fantastic. The smexy scenes are smutty and sensual at the same time, a combination which creates an even deeper connection with the characters. The chemistry between Matt and Laurin is off the charts, but I couldn't say the same for Laurin and Kallen. Usually I'd bitch about this, but it felt right in this case. I couldn't have respected Laurin and Matts relationship if they could share what they have that easily. I respected Kallen entirely. He knew what it would take to break the curse, but wasn't going to push or guilt trip anyone into helping him. The whole situation was satisfying for me, which was incredibly surprising as I usually struggle with the introduction of a menage situation to an existing relationship I have already developed a connection with. I have been very conscious not to give away anymore spoilers than you can get in the blurb, but I will add that the menage scene is one of the most erotic I've read in this category.

Overall, a fantastically erotic end to the series that allows the characters to develop without ever making me question their feelings towards each other. It was just too damn short :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Storm.