Angela's Reviews > The Prince

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossed-or-otherwise-set-free, 2004, translated-into-english
Read in October, 2004

Classic book about politics and power...per the cover copy: "The famous analysis of Statesmanship and Power. This world-renowned study reveals the techniques and strategy of gaining and keeping political control."

I picked up this book some years ago at a yard sale or a used book store...I don't remember which. And (picture my head hung in shame) it sat on the bookshelf, giving me a guilt complex every time I passed it over for something else. And It's such a short little thing....This is the 1952 Mentor Books/NAL edition, mass market paperback, printed in the early to mid-60's -- I think this copy was used as required reading for a college or high school because it contains many underlined passages.

When I finally read it, I found it interesting, if rather arid in places.

Machiavelli approached life and politics with the utmost pragmatism: "If thus-n-such is what you want, thus-n-so is what you must do to get it." No moralizing, no soul-searching, no consideration of others taken into account; Machiavelli's philosophy is one in which looking out for one's self is always top priority. Even if one's actions seem to benefit the common good or serve a higher purpose, Machiavelli preaches one's underlying motivation must always be self-serving.

"What's in it for me?" isn't necessarily a bad construct in business or politics, or life for that matter. Humans are selfish by nature and must be taught altruism, although I believe no one truly achieves it. I do wonder, however, what happens to the souls of the people who follow Machiavelli's philosophy to the exclusion of all else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lynn Sometimes, you come across Machiavellian types who most certainly haven't read this book, but they are innately Machiavellian. Thus, there is only one way to combat their Machiavellian ways - to know and understand them, and hopefully, one can tackle them.