Heather's Reviews > Soul Music

Apr 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: just-for-fun, fantasy
Read from April 03 to 28, 2011

I adore Pratchett books. I well and truly do. However, I've started to become a bit bored with them. I love the stories and the characters, don't get me wrong, but after reading several of them in a row I've started to feel like I am repeating some kind of cycle over and over again. The similarity between Mort and Soul Music was somewhat irritating - both Mort and Susan seeking to save someone from Death, both bringing up the issues of Death taking a distanced role to the actual actions of Death, etc. I felt like Soul Music was just repeating the same story as Mort, and that irritated me. However, I do love Susan - I thought she was an interesting character and I was amused by her take on being Death. I also liked Buddy and the Band With Rocks In, despite the rather dull and unoriginal parody on rock and roll music. Despite all this, I did enjoy reading it; however, I've grown a bit tired of the same formulaic repetitiveness that I've run across in the Discworld novels lately, and I think I'll sit them out for a bit and read something else for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Music.