Avital's Reviews > Half-Blood

Apr 03, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: to-read
Read from October 08 to 17, 2011

First I would like to say I've never given a book 1 star, because I think that just the dedication of an author earns him at list 2 stars. The second thing is that I think that's the longest review I've ever wrote. It says something.

This book doesn't deserve rating at all. Because it was a perfect copy of Vampire Academy series. And not in a good way.
I'm utterly disappointed and upset with Jennifer L. Armentrout. How can she do that? How did the publishers let her publish a book that is a copy of another?

First of all, the main idea. Daimons? Half-bloods? Pures? It equals Strigoi, Damphirs and Moroi.
Once a Pure drinks the Aether (blood) from another, it becomes a monster, a Daimon. It's just like vampires.

The plot begins with Alex who is returning to the Covenant (The Academy) after a long time. She needs to catch up with her training, to be a Guardian - Oops, a Sentinel one day and kill Strigoi - ah, Daimons. And of course no one agrees to give her private training, except for the hot Sentinel (Guardian) Aiden.

Just like with Dimitri in VA.

From then the plot focuses on the relationship of Alex and Aiden and her training.

Some of the scenes with Alex and Aiden were just like with Rose and Dimitri that I really became furious. Aiden treating Alex with her injury just like Dimitri did Rose, Aiden preaching Alex about her behavior like Dimitri did.

And the characters!
Alex=Rose.
Aiden=Dimitri.
Lea=Mia.
Caleb=Mason.
Deacon=Adrian.

And I'm sure there's more.

And the ending?? Alex being kidnapped just like in book 2 in VA series.

I tried to give this book a chance when I started reading it and noticed all the similarities because I thought- NO WAY IS SHE COPYING EVERY WORD AND EVERY SCENE!

But she did. And it's just a shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

10/08/2011 page 5
10/13/2011 page 75
27.0% "Such an imitation of Vampire Academy, but okay, I'm giving it a chance to surprise me."
09/12/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Ezmirelda I know exactly what you mean! Some people here actually told me that even though she stole all of Richelle's work I should still give her credit for writing a novel. *pfft* The ppl who write fan-fiction don't publish it for a reason. :/

Sarah Mmm hmm... I only started this book on reccommendations that if I liked VA I would like this...

I didn't think that meant it was a freakin' replica!

Richelle Mead should consider it a compliment, after burning a good dozen or so copies of this book.

I really want to like it. I really do. But I can't accept Alex as Alex.. She's a diluted version of Rose.

Have you read the sequals? I'm hoping it moves into its own... *fingers crossed*

Ezmirelda Sarah wrote: "Mmm hmm... I only started this book on reccommendations that if I liked VA I would like this...

I didn't think that meant it was a freakin' replica!

Richelle Mead should consider it a compliment,..."

I've read the sequel and it gets a little better but then the copying gets a lot more blatantly obvious because she took the main event in VA Bk #2 and puts it in Pure (Half Blood Bk #2).

Monique Francine Sy Bolaños amen to this

Jennah Maswadeh you cant say that this was a poor copy. It wasn't really that big a copy. I mean that main charters where both wity and funny but they are different in several ways. The mother Daughter relationships were different, plus I didn't read about any one getting put on the elixir. Also the only reason Rose can't be with Dimitri is because they are teacher and student not like some one is forcing her to not leave its their own choices that cause them not to be tighter not that one of them will be put in to a life of slave. which is way scarier than being a blood whore. Any way give Jennifer armentrout another chance and read her other series before you get so disappointed. and try to finish out the rest of the series if you can get over this it really starts to branch out from the VA series.

Avital Iv'e read the Lux series, Obsession, Cursed and Wait For You, and REALLY liked them. I just can't stand an absolute copy of someone else's hard work. But still, I'd like to apologize if I was too blunt/rude in my review almost two years ago.

Kate Kaynak Thanks, Avital. It really wasn't a copy, just the similarity of certain eastern European hierarchical societies and snarky main characters--JLA wrote Half-Blood BEFORE the first VA book came out, and the rest of the two series diverge tremendously from each other.

message 8: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Mar 12, 2014 02:33PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Kate wrote: "Thanks, Avital. It really wasn't a copy, just the similarity of certain eastern European hierarchical societies and snarky main characters--JLA wrote Half-Blood BEFORE the first VA book came out, and the rest of the two series diverge tremendously from each other."
________

Avital, feel free to disregard anything which Kate here has to say. I'm hoping that she's learned to stay of reviews and keep the "oh but you don't understand" comments to herself. Ya see, she didn't show herself in good light on another review in late July.

FYI, in addition to being an author, Kate Kaynak is Managing Editor at Spencer Hill Press. She is specifically the editor for the Covenant series (as well as other series/books). And IIRC, she's co-owner of Spencer Hill Press by virtue of marriage.

Oh la... Shame, too, b/c I personally really like Jennifer Armentrout/Jenny Trout.

ETA: Kate Kaynak's post, for posterity

Avital I already knew all that.
And I totally agree with you on liking Jennifer's work.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Ah, good to know. I just get a little protective of YA readers, for lack of a better word, after my niece went thru some unpleasantness. :|

(And I totally goofed in adding "Jenny Trout"―she's the other Jennifer Armintrout!)

Cheers!

Denise Lonzame Kate wrote: "Thanks, Avital. It really wasn't a copy, just the similarity of certain eastern European hierarchical societies and snarky main characters--JLA wrote Half-Blood BEFORE the first VA book came out, a..."

Vampire Academy came out in 2007 right?

message 12: by Bianca (new) - added it

Bianca I have to disagree about the character transfer

Alex= rose
Caleb=lissa
Lea=Mia
Seth=Adrian
Aiden=dimitri

Amelie THANK YOU! Agree with you. I thought Obsidian was kinda ripped off of Twilight, but Halfblood proofed me wrong. This was like fanfiction xD

Elaine As a reader of both series, I was disappointed with the similarities between Half Blood and Vampire Academy. Granted, Armentrout did claim that she didn't read VA before writing the story, but someone in her team probably should've noticed the similarities. I believe that if you can get past the first book, the story truly does branch off on its own and develops its own plot. But who knows what truly happened, but I'm going to give the benefit of doubt and believe that if it truly was plagiarism, Armentrout would be in a lot of legal trouble, which I don't see happening but who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️