Leah's Reviews > The Unforgotten Coat

The Unforgotten Coat by Frank Cottrell Boyce

May 23, 12

Read from March 16 to 18, 2012

This book was given to me as a promotional copy during World Book Night 2011 and I have only recently got around to reading it. I have read some short stories and a play script by Frank Cottrell Boyce before so I happy to receive this one.
Written for younger readers we follow the story of Julie, a North Liverpool school girl who becomes friends with two newcomers to her school, Chingis and Nergui, who are from Mongolia and join the class for a while. Julie is fascinated by the new classmates, who talk of wide open plains and training eagles and she wants them to feel welcome. Assigned as their guide in their new school she becomes part of their world for a short time and the three of them become unlikely friends.
The book is set out like a school exercise book complete with discoloured pages and glued in pictures. Told in the first person Julie is likeable and felt instantly familiar. The language helps you identify easily with school life and the mysterious brothers arouse your curiosity with ease. Told with compassion and warmth this story has lessons for all of us. For a childrens story I felt quite emotional by the last few pages.
I finished this book in a day and I enjoyed the characters and also the look of the book. It is about friendship, diversity and being proud of your roots. There were quite a few surprises along the way, plot turns that were unexpected, especially the ending. A valuable book for young teens, but also for us older ones with a need to read quality writing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unforgotten Coat.

03/16/2012 page 52