Nini Villanova's Reviews > Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul

Onward by Howard Schultz

Apr 03, 2011

Read from April 03 to 11, 2011

I really enjoyed reading Howard Schultz's description of returning to Starbucks as ceo and attempting to turn his company back around. While the book is certainly self-promotional and a promotional piece for the coffee giant, this book also provides an interesting look at life as a CEO in general, and specifically as ceo of Starbucks.

In more than one case Schultz outlines hour by hour the decisions he had to make, or the meetings he had to lead, or the news he had to reveal. What is evident in this book is that the ceo never sleeps (restfully anyway), and that the ceo can always do something better.

The focus on the social consciousness of Starbucks is critical to the believability of the book. While Starbucks is certainly a major corporation with a focus on profit, there is a focus on taking care of the people who make the profit possible, and that is valuable. We live in a time where that type of respect for employees is deemed unnecessary because it makes a corporation less profitable.

Anyway, I recommend...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Onward.

04/03/2011 page 75